Presentations for Technical Program
The deadlines for the Technical Program Presentations are as follows:
> 15 April 2015: Final Response to Authors informing them whether their paper will presented in a poster or lectern session. Instructions and guidelines provided.
> 1 June 2015: Author or representative MUST be registered for the conference
> 15 June 2015: Lectern Presenters: Deadline for PowerPoint/PDF upload/submission. These will be the final presentations for the projector preparation for conference rooms. No changes permitted after this date.
> 22-24 June 2015: Attend the 5th International Symposium on Highway Geometric Design in Vancouver, Canada.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LECTERN PRESENTERS:
- Please review the ISHGD Lectern Session Guidelines.
- File format shall be PowerPoint in 16:9 aspect (see notes below regarding aspect) or Adobe Acrobat. Acceptable file formats:
- Download the Official ISHGD PowerPoint template here - highly recommended
- If you plan on using videos, you will need to embed them in your presentation. Internet will not be available.
- Upload your presentation to OpenConf no later than 15 June. Select “Upload File” under Authors.
> Unlike TRB, setup of the presentations is a manual and time consuming process hence last minute changes will not be entertained. Final submissions must be uploaded on or before 15 June 2015.
- Presentation may not be more than 64.0MB. Files larger than that will not be able to be uploaded.
- Laptops, pre-loaded with your presentation, will be setup for you in advance of your presentation. Personal laptops will not be permitted.
- You will have 22 minutes to make your presentation and 3 minutes for questions. Please prepare your slides accordingly.
Notes regarding aspect ratio in PowerPoints:
> You should note that your presentations will be presented from Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (.pptx) and that the projection screens have an aspect ratio of 16:9. (This is the same aspect ratio that you see on most new computer screens).
> Presentations created in earlier versions of PowerPoint (.ppt) are still presentable when opened in the 2013 version.
> If your presentation is created in 4:3 format, there could be some formatting issues with images and graphics that you might want to be resolved. See tips below
Adapting an existing 4:3 PowerPoint presentation in 16:9:
> Adapting a PowerPoint from 4:3 to 16:9 is not difficult, but care needs to be taken to change any images that are in the presentation so that they don't appear horizontally stretched. The first step in the process is to simply change the display aspect ratio of the PowerPoint, but if you stop there, those images will appear distorted. Changing the images, however, is a very easy process.
To adapt an existing PowerPoint to 16:9, do the following:
- Open an existing PowerPoint presentation.
- From the top menu, (depending on the version of PowerPoint you have) select Design, then Page Setup OR File, then Page Setup, and change Slides sized for to: On-screen Show (16:9).
o Other settings in this box should be:
o Slides: Landscape
o Notes, handouts & outline: Portrait.
- Click OK.
- Locate your first image in the slide deck and right click (Control-click on a Mac) it.
- From the drop-down list, select Format Picture, and then select Size.
- In the Scale area of the box that opens, ensure that the Lock aspect ratio box is checked, and then click the Height increase (up) arrow once and then decrease (down) once.
o Changing the scale by one step and then switching it back will correct the aspect ratio of your image to fit your new presentation ratio.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to the end of your slide deck.
o You may find it necessary to rearrange some of the elements on your slides to make them more visually appealing.
- Save your presentation.
Click here for some useful tips and screenshots. Still need help? Google “how to format ppt to 16:9”.
Creating a 16:9 PowerPoint:
> Open PowerPoint
> From the top menu, (depending on the version of PowerPoint you have) select Design, then Page Setup OR File, then Page Setup, and change Slides sized for to: On-screen Show (16:9).
> Click OK
INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTER PRESENTERS:
- Please review the ISHGD Poster Session Guidelines.
- Bring to the Symposium a single sheet poster, made of heavyweight poster paper or similar material, no larger than 30”x40” (750mm x1000mm).
- You will attach the posters to foam backing boards on individual easels the morning of 23 June. Thumbtacks, tape and binderclips will be provided as well as the easels and foam backing boards.
- Electricity and tables will NOT be provided.
- Electronic files of the posters are NOT to be uploaded to OpenConf.
- The Poster Session is planned for 23 June from 8:00am to 9:45am. The hall will be available at 7:45am.
- To have your PAPER included in the Symposium proceedings, you must be registered by 1 June 2015. Alternatively, if you are nominating another person to present your paper, you MUST notify the conference organizers (email: email@example.com) by 1 June, and he/she must be registered for the Symposium by 1 June 2015.
- Lectern presenters will not be given the opportunity to make last minute changes to their presentations. Final submissions must be uploaded on or before 15 June 2015.
- Authors should check this page periodically to review for any changes to the above instructions.